Dr. Bryce A. Brown Wellness Centre
Dr. Bryce A. Brown
Oshawa Community Health Centre’s facility is named “Dr. Bryce A. Brown Wellness Centre”. The Brown family wanted to honour Dr. Brown for all of his contributions to health care in Oshawa. The opportunity to name Oshawa Community Health Centre’s facility after Dr. Brown was a perfect fit.
An admired long time resident of Oshawa, Dr. Brown was past-President of the Ontario County Medical Association and past chief of staff to the Oshawa General Hospital. He was a member of the Board of Education in our community for 10 years and also served as chairman of the Board. As well, he was a Past President of the Oshawa Kiwanis Club. In 1977 Dr. Brown was a recipient of the Glenn Sawyer Award which is awarded to Ontario Medical Association members who have rendered significant service to their profession and community primarily at the local level.
Dr. Bryce A. Brown graduated from Mc Gill University in 1918 and interned at the Ottawa Civic Hospital during the world wide flu pandemic. This was a scourge that brought death to countless millions worldwide and baffled the medical science of the day.
He settled in Oshawa in the late fall of 1918 to establish his practice. Dr. Brown married Laura in 1924. Laura graduated from the Oshawa General Hospital in 1919 and as a RN and later became the first public health nurse in the Oshawa public school system.
After their marriage, when a doctor’s office was typically in the home, she was a vital part of the medical team that served the community for many years until her death in 1957. Dr. Brown attended to his large practice initially by foot, then horse and buggy and finally by automobile as he made thousands of house calls during his career.
After a ten year term on the Board of Education in the 1930’s, he entered municipal politics and was an Alderman for three years during the second world war- 1940-2. Always very involved in his community, he was also a long standing member and president of Oshawa Kiwanis Club.
Dr. Brown was past-President of the Ontario County Medical Association and past chief of staff to the Oshawa General Hospital.
In 1959, Dr. Brown and his sons, Bryce and Robert created and developed Grandview Golf Club (1959-1972) and Kedron Dells Golf Club - 1972 to current date. In both companies, Dr. Brown served as President and made essential contributions to the success of both companies in their formative years.
In 1977 Dr. Brown was a recipient of the Glenn Sawyer Award which is awarded to Ontario Medical Association members who have rendered significant service to their profession and community primarily at the local level.
Dr. Brown served the community continuously until his retirement in 1981 a period of almost 62 years in practice, a record at that time in the annals of the Ontario Medical Association.
Oshawa Community Health Centre is proud to have Dr. Brown’s name on our beautiful facility.
To donate now, please follow the link below